In the past few weeks, the Goalkeepers Youth Accelerator, a first-of-its-kind global program, was launched to support young activists accelerate their campaigns for social change, through data collection and storytelling. The Bush Institute has joined the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, CIVICUS, the Obama Foundation, Restless Development and Action for Sustainable Development to enable youth – through the Accelerator –to influence decision makers including governments, the private sector and citizens. You are therefore encouraged to explore this opportunity. The application is open until October 31, 2018 and can be found here.
The Bush Institute is part of this Accelerator so to offer this support to suitable graduates . The Accelerator will support promising youth advocates who are using data in innovative ways to address Global Goals 1-6 — local development challenges related to poverty, hunger, health and well-being, education, gender equality and water and sanitation.
These youth-led initiatives should relate to:
- Data sourcing & Accountability: Initiatives that gather community views and experiences and/or crowd sourced data related to the specific development issue you’re working on. For example: Float Beijing Citizen Generated Data Quality
- Data translation & Storytelling: Initiatives and campaigns that translate existing development data into stories that showcase progress and encourage leaders across sectors to act. For example: Stories for Advocacy
Chosen youth advocates will receive funding, technical and networking support, valued at up to US$30,000.
At a glance, you’re an ideal candidate if you:
- Are an experienced social activist, researcher, campaigner, technologist, scientist or change agent.
- Are committed and ready to advance and accelerate the progress of a successful idea now and in the longer-term.
- Are a young person (age 18-35 as of 1 January 2019) or represent a youth-led organization.
- You work in your community to enhance local development in Africa, Asia, Latin America or the Middle East.
You may learn more about the Goalkeepers Youth Accelerator here.