Intern Title: Participatory Action Research (PAR) Intern
Internship Organization: City University of New York (CUNY)
Supervisor: Professor Juan Battle
Stipend: $50 per month ($30 stipend + $20 airtime)
Hours: 15 hours/week
Duration: 3 months (January 11, 2021 – April 11, 2021)
Application Deadline: Wednesday, November 25th, 2020
The Global Education Movement (GEM) is an initiative of Southern New Hampshire University that brings accredited university degrees to refugees and vulnerable populations affected by forced migration. GEM has partnered with Professor Juan Battle from the City University of New York (CUNY) to train GEM students to conduct participatory action research to investigate the impact of the GEM program and its students/graduates in their communities.
Participatory Action Research (PAR) is an approach to research in communities that emphasizes participation and action. It seeks to understand the world by trying to change it, collaboratively and following reflection. PAR emphasizes collective inquiry and experimentation grounded in experience and social history. Interns will work in localized teams to learn about PAR, then conduct research and present their findings.
The internship will have three segments:
- Part 1: training on professional skills
- Part 2: training on PAR
- Part 3: conducting research and presenting findings
Interns will be responsible for attending multiple virtual teams calls each week, as well as completing and submitting significant independent and group work throughout the three-month internship.
Three of the fifteen hours of work per week will be on Zoom calls. Attendance at all calls is mandatory. One call will take place every Friday from 8:30 AM-10:00 AM EST and the time/day of the other calls will be determined by your supervisor/working group. During the team calls, all students are expected to use Zoom with their videos on, so please plan your Internet access and calendars accordingly.
Upon successful completion of the internship, students will receive a certificate of completion in Advanced Social Science Research and Data Analysis from the City University of New York (CUNY). Professor Battle is seeking 50 GEM interns to participate in this internship.
- Committed to complete the entire 3-month internship
- Excellent command of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Desire to learn about and conduct research
- Desire to work with people from multiple countries
- Self-motivated and innovative
- Extremely well organized and punctual
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Experience with conducting or reviewing research is an advantage
How to Apply:
- Please submit your application through the linked Application Google Form by Wednesday, November 25th, 2020. You will need to answer the required questions and upload your CV and Cover Letter.
- To increase your chances to be considered for this internship, we encourage interested applicants to seek feedback on your resume and Cover Letter before submitting; please send your documents via this linked GEM Application Editing Service. Please note that it takes three business days (Mon-Friday) to receive feedback, so please submit early. Your application will be assessed against this Application Rubric.
- This is only open to students who have started working on their BA.