Work-study (Internship) description
Preparation Program Teaching Assistants will facilitate classes for secondary school graduates interested in pursuing tertiary education programs during COVID-19 in Kiziba. This is a work-study position, which will follow work-study policies for compensation depending on Kepler Kiziba Campus: During the program implementation, this position has a compensation (Rwf 50,000 a month). The position will require 15 to 20 hours of supporting students either in person or remotely per week and a few more hours in preparation and coordination.
- Prepare for and facilitate whole and small group classes with provided curriculum focusing on skills necessary for success in tertiary education programs.
- Remotely supervise and support students’ independent English and/or Math skill-based practice.
- Provide independent learning support for students before or after assigned classes.
- Track and record attendance for assigned sessions.
- Provide accurate information about tertiary education programs and admissions deadlines, as well as support with the completion of applications.
- Collaborate with other TAs, Program Coordinator, and partner staff to problem solve and implement solutions around classrooms, technology, and student issues.
- Manage and organize classroom teaching materials; including properly storing/moving materials and checking on/communicating around available supplies.
- Manage and organize classroom furniture, ensuring learning spaces are prepared in advance of classes.
- Support with educating people about and promoting the Kepler brand; including greeting visitors and serving as a Kepler ambassador.
- Participate in training.
- Maintain accurately and up to date records of student performance as assigned.
- Other duties and tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications & Eligibility:
- Ability to commit to the position from November 16th, 2020 to Jan 20th, 2021 (Training start 9-12 Nov/2020).
- Strong academic performance (60 and Plus competencies in BA & must have completed 10 or more Modules).
- Having interpersonal skills (ability to balance work and academics life).
- Demonstrating strong communication and ability to give instruction to a group of people.
- Demonstrating professionalism and good working ethics, ready to serve as a role model in a community.
- Having a sense of responsibility and ownership of the program’s resources.
- Must have completed the Job Readiness Module.
- Be a Kepler student from the Kiziba campus in cohorts 2016, 2017, or 2018 cohorts.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain monthly CfA progress on BA.
- Interest in the field of education and a desire to learn pedagogical strategies.
- Ability to work independently and creatively problem solve.
- Shouldn’t have other paid employment (unless willing to leave if hired for this position).
If you accept a work-study position, you will not be able to leave for an internship or other employment during your work-study without being in breach of your contract. Please think about your year-long plan before applying. Reach out to your advisor or another CF if you’d like some help with this.
To Apply: Complete this form by October 30th, 2020. If you have questions about the qualifications or job description, please do not hesitate to reach out to email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.