CALL FOR APPLICATIONS – RESEARCH ASSISTANT INTERN AT
UNIVERSITAT AUTÒNOMA DE BARCELONA
Organization: TransMedia Catalonia, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Intern Title: Research Assistant Intern
Intern Supervisor: Maria Jimenez, Predoctoral Researcher
Intern Stipend: USD 40 per month
Intern Communications Stipend: USD 10 per month
Hours Per Week: 10
Internship Duration: 4 months (October 19th, 2020 – February 19th, 2021) with the possibility for internship extension.
Application Deadline: October 1, 2020
TransMedia Catalonia is an interdisciplinary research group created by Dr Pilar Orero at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB). It has its origin in an international research group created in 2004 (TransMedia).
TransMedia Catalonia aims to research audiovisual translation (dubbing, subtitling, voice-over, etc.) and media accessibility (subtitling for the deaf and hard-of-hearing, respeaking, audio description, audio subtitling, sign language) in various genres, platforms, and supports. After an initial period devoted to descriptive research, its focus is now on user testing and technological implementation.
TransMedia Catalonia was recognized in 2005 as an emerging group by the Catalan government (SGR2005/230) and has been a consolidated research group since 2009 (2009SGR700, 2014SGR27, 2017SGR113). The group is linked to UAB’s Department of Translation and Interpreting and East Asian Studies. TransMedia Catalonia manages LAB-TTAV (Laboratori de Technologies per a la Traducció Audiovisual), which offers eye-tracking and consultancy services in media accessibility. More information can be found here: https://grupsderecerca.uab.cat/transmedia/
Intern’s Roles and Responsibilities:
The intern’s work will be associated with a European Horizon 2020 project, REBUILD, that aims at the design of an ICT tool to support the integration of refugees in Italy, Spain, and Greece. The intern will:
- Support the team on the various tasks required for the project such as administrative tasks and research activities for the project.
- Assist in the drafting of internal reports and documents to external organizations.
- Revision of materials.
- Provide input and feedback on the app.
- Support in the testing and piloting of the app.
The intern may also be asked to collaborate in some tasks associated with the TransMedia research group, such as support in the organization of conferences.
- Computer Skills (MS Office, Google Drive, e-mail)
- Confidence in writing and speaking English
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Research skills/experience preferred
How to Apply:
Please submit your application through the linked Application Google Form by COB on Thursday, October 1st, 2020. You will need to answer the required questions and upload your CV (no Cover Letter required).
If you would like feedback on your CV before submitting, please send your document via this linked Application Editing Form by COB on Tuesday, September 22nd, 2020 so that a GEM Employment Editor may provide you with feedback. Your application will be assessed against this Application Rubric.
- Only students from cohort 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 are allowed to apply.
- You are not allowed to apply if you are already doing another remote internship.