Kepler is looking for a dynamic and creative Communications Intern to support the Humanitarian Education Accelerator (HEA) programme, which is run in partnership with UNHCR and UNICEF.
We are looking for someone who enjoys storytelling and exploring multiple ways of communicating with different audiences, including refugees and host communities. The successful candidate will be proactive in developing and shooting their own stories, around their experience as a Kepler student and intern, as well as working on stories with the wider community around them. The intern will report to the HEA Communications Officer, as well as having the opportunity to interact with the wider HEA and UNHCR Innovation Service teams based in Nairobi and Geneva.
We are looking for an intern who brings adaptability, transparency, humility and an eagerness to learn to their work. This will mostly be a remote internship, requiring 15 hours of work a week with some travel. In May, there will be one week where you will work directly with your supervisor from UNHCR on the ground in Rwanda. This internship will receive a stipend of 40,000 rwf per month.
Duties may include:
- Developing storyboards and using creativity to explore diverse ways of telling stories of your experience as a Kepler student, in addition to working on stories around Kepler’s work on gender equity and employment
- Write and develop blogs, photo/video stories, including developing and producing interviews that are ready to be published and shared publicly
- Supporting the Innovation Service in creating non-traditional approaches to storytelling and narratives.
- Independently carrying out tasks as set out by the supervisor
- Other duties and tasks by supervisor
- Weekly remote meetings with the HEA Communications Officer and wider team
Qualifications & Eligibility
- Ability to commit to position from April, 2019 through June, 2019.
- Strong academic performance (not on a KASP or Probation)
- Strong technology skills
- Be a Kepler Student who has finished their AA and is now working on their BA degree, majoring in Communications
- Multimedia experience in photography, film and audio would be desirable
- Demonstrated ability to maintain monthly CfA progress of 8 per month for BA
- Interest in the field of communication and a desire to apply their degree in their everyday environment
- Shouldn’t have other paid employment
- Must have interest in Communications -with a particular focus on communicating with refugees and host communities, and the work of UNHCR Innovation and the organization more broadly.
Please think about your three month plan before applying. Reach out to your advisor or another CF if you’d like some help with this.
To Apply: Send a resume and a pitch for a story about Kepler, explaining what the story is, who you would speak to and how you would tell the story to engage your audience. Please be as creative as possible and allow your passion for storytelling to shine! Applications should be sent to the UNHCR HEA team at firstname.lastname@example.org by 18th March 2019 . If you have questions about the qualifications or job description, please do not hesitate to reach out to email@example.com .