2020 Internship Project Pathways Deck
About Global Livingston Institute (GLI): The Global Livingston Institute (GLI), is a research and education-based nonprofit organization committed to educating students and community leaders on innovative approaches to international development and empowering awareness, collaboration, conversations and personal growth. GLI is committed to improving communities globally.
When we took our first group of students to Uganda and Rwanda in 2009, we could have never imagined that we would host hundreds of travelers, partner with the people of Kabale, Uganda to form a unique hybrid of job creation, education, and community development at the Entusi Resort and Retreat Center on Lake Bunyonyi, or host the largest, free music festival in East Africa.
We continue to be inspired by the idea that if we bring the right people to the table, work collaboratively, and think big and differently, we can shift the dialogue surrounding international development and create lasting positive change to communities both at home and abroad.
That is where our interns come in!
Internship Title/Role: Community Impact Research Intern (Lake Bunyonyi)
Program Area(s): Research, Entusi
Internship Job Description:
- Conduct data collection in conjunction with a developing “Entusi Impact Study” in partnership with United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) and the Entusi Resort & Retreat Center
- USAFA team conducted focus group discussions in five villages around Lake Bunyonyi in late March 2019, comprised of a total of 60 local citizens. The researchers were discerning:
- Basic demographic data o Familiarly with GLI & Entusi
- Familiarity with GLI & Entusi’s core projects (school boat, water taxi, recycling, swimming lessons, and agriculture)
- In 2019, Tulane & Kabale University students conducted first round of data collection with 97 households around Lake Bunyonyi
Estimated Hours per week: 30-40
Timeline: 6-8 weeks
Point of Contact(s): Tom Karrel (GLI), Raymond Bokua (Entusi)
Location: Lake Bunyonyi, Uganda
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Carry out focus group discussion and/or individual interviews with local citizens in villages all around Lake Bunyonyi alongside Entusi staff and local translators
- Aim for a sample size of 100-250 individuals
- Collect findings and put together brief summary report (3-5 pages) to help add to first year report of Entusi Impact Study (3-5 year study)
Key Qualifications & Skills: Some research experience is required. Time spent in sub-Saharan Africa is preferred. Strong communication & adaptability is necessary for this position
Application Deadline: March 1, 2020
Costs: Transport to/from Airport to Lake Bunyonyi (some direct transport costs related to internship). Depending on experience, GLI willing to subsidize/cover significant lodging & food costs
How to Apply: E-mail email@example.com with your CV/Resume and cover letter or brief e-mail introducing yourself, and outline interest for applying for the specific internship position(s).
REQUIRED In Email Subject Line, enter: RE: GLI INTERNSHIP APP: (Insert Internship Title/Role Here)
Please be patient with us as we review and respond to your application! If you are a good fit for the role(s), you will receive a follow-up and be connected via email to the stated Internship Project POC(s) for an interview.