Prep Programs Work-study (Internship) description
Preparation Program (Iteme) Teaching Assistants (TAs) will facilitate classes for secondary school graduates interested in pursuing tertiary education programs. This is a work-study position, which will follow work-study policies for compensation depending on the campus you attend. *Note: During the program implementation, this position has a higher compensation (Rwf 50,000k a month). The position will require 8-10 hours of instruction per week and a few more hours in preparation and coordination. When you apply, you may specify the site where you are interested in working. For more details about the preparation programs, please read here.
- Duties include:
- Prepare for and facilitate whole and small group classes with provided curriculum focusing on skills necessary for success in tertiary education programs
- Supervise and support students’ independent English and/or Math skill-based practice
- Provide independent learning support for students before or after assigned classes
- Track and record attendance for assigned sessions
- Provide accurate information about tertiary education programs and admissions deadlines, as well as support with completion of applications
- Collaborate with other TAs, program coordinator, and partner staff to problem solve and implement solutions around classrooms, technology, and student issues
- Manage and organize classroom teaching materials; including properly storing/moving materials and checking on/communicating around available supplies
- Manage and organize classroom furniture, ensuring learning spaces are prepared in advance of classes
- Support with educating people about and promoting the Kepler brand; including greeting visitors and serving as a Kepler ambassador
- Participate in trainings
- Maintain accurate and up to date records of student performance as assigned
- Other duties and tasks by supervisor
- Qualifications & Eligibility:
- Ability to commit to position from mid-August through December 2019.
- Strong academic performance
- Be a Kepler student from Kigali or Kiziba campuses in cohorts 2016 or 2017
- Demonstrated ability to maintain monthly CfA progress of 8 competencies per month for BA
- Must have completed JRC.
- Interest in the field of education and a desire to learn pedagogical strategies
- Ability to work independently and creatively problem solve
- Shouldn’t have other paid employment (unless willing to leave if hired for this position)
Preparation Program Work-study positions will follow this timeline for the AY 2018/2019:
Application Deadline: August 10th
Interviews : August 13th
Hiring Decisions: August 16th
Trainings: August 21-23rd
Prep Program Dates: September through December 2019
If you accept a work-study position, you will not be able to leave for an internship or other employment during your work-study without being in breach of your contract. Please think about your year long plan before applying. Reach out to your advisor or another CF if you’d like some help with this.