The challenge: All across sub-Saharan Africa, millions of young people struggle every day with access to education and employment – and the kinds of livelihoods that lead to economic security and mobility for themselves and their families. Every young person deserves the chance to be educated; every young person deserves the opportunity to have a meaningful job.
Who we are: Kepler is a non-profit university program that is building a transformative model of education-to-employment services for these young people across the region. Our ultimate goal is to contribute to the economic mobility of thousands of individuals, families and communities in all of our countries of operation. We want to reimagine what higher education can look like in sub-Saharan Africa.
What we do: Through a rigorous curriculum of in-person, online and on-the-job learning, Kepler students graduate with the relevant skills and the right attitude to meet the needs of the changing global economy. We partner closely with Southern New Hampshire University – a global leader in higher education – which allows our students to attain affordable, internationally recognized degrees while studying in East Africa.
Our history: Kepler launched in Rwanda in 2013. Our 50+ staff currently serve 550 students across two campuses in Rwanda – our flagship campus in Kigali, as well as a second campus in the Kiziba refugee camp in Western Rwanda, where we serve refugee learners.
The future: Kepler has an ambitious new strategy for the next five years, which will include launching in two new countries; expanding our academic offerings; partnering with other public and private sector universities, and reaching a new level of organizational sustainability.
About the Role:
Kepler is hiring a temporary Senior Learning Assistant for a period of 6 months to facilitate classes including Professional Foundations (formerly known Professional Competencies) and related modules.
The SLA will help in all aspects of the class including running class sessions, identifying struggling students and offering them support in small groups, and s/he will be involved in grading student work. The SLA will also help with tracking data about student progress and participation in respective modules and will report to their assigned to the Subject Manager for Professional Competencies.
- Teach Professional Foundation modules in compliance with Kepler policies and procedures
- Regularly evaluate student learning through competency/project-based assessments, including both formative and summative assessments and provide clear and actionable feedback to students
- Conduct and facilitate other forms of assessments as specified in Kepler academic and assessment policies.
- Utilize student data to make informed decisions to guarantee all student progress through the curriculum
- Create or modify lesson plans as needed in the specified format provided
- Build courses (curriculum delivery and communication regarding curriculum) through a Learning Management System.
- Under the direction of the faculty leadership, collaborate with the curriculum team in planning and implementing new learning content
- Conduct student office hours and create other channels for open and positive communication with students
- Participate in various activities such as meetings, workshops and seminars as may be scheduled from time to time
- Undertake any other activities assigned from time to time by the Subject Manager.
Qualifications & Eligibility
- Senior Kepler student (further advanced in CfA with 100+ competencies in the BA and successfully completed all module requirements)
- Prior experience working as an Senior Learning Assistant, Teaching Assistant or Learning Assistant
- Demonstrated passion for education
- Ability to work 45 hours/week while successfully managing SLA responsibilities and academic requirements as a student (if applicable)
- Commitment to completing not less than 6 months
- Strong typing skills (50 WPM or above)
- Functional knowledge and/or personal experience with technology: Microsoft Suite, Google Drive, and Google Chrome
- Familiarity with the use of the Canvas Learning Management System
- Ability to keep student information confidential
- Excellent interpersonal skills and outstanding moral judgment
- Demonstrated ability to be strict with students while keeping a positive rapport
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Critical thinker and detail-oriented
- Creative/critical thinker and effective and tech-savvy manager
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Prior experience working as an TA or LA in Professional Competencies.
- Fresh Kepler graduates are highly encouraged to apply by completing this form if interested . Deadline March 26, 2021
Note: Only candidates with appealing application files will be recommended for the next steps of the hiring process. If you wish to have feedback on your applications files before you submit, use this link to seek support and you will be served within 48hours.
Best of Luck!